Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What I am loving Wednesdays


I had a completely different post planned today, but I felt a much more prominent topic was on my heart. FAMILY! Most of you are completely aware of how important my family is to me, but one particular person stands out in my mind today. My Uncle Dixon, just three short years ago today I lost him to cancer. I don't usually open up about these things, but he was such an important role model in my life that I felt as though I wanted to share a little bit about him. He didn't get to see me speak at my high school graduation and he won't be there to watch me walk down the aisle or to be a great uncle, but in his time he truly shaped the person I will be and I carry him in my heart forever. Dixon was such a godly man, before I was born he would come take care of my Mom when she was pregnant with me while my Dad travelled a good bit. My earliest memories have him in it. He was always there to listen, encourage, and give advice. I remember the first time he knew I was dating or saw I was wearing make up, he would always tell me to watch out. He was there the first time I marched in a parade and though he didn't make to my final performance Senior year, there was another special human being there. My Aunt Melanie, my uncle's wife was there in the stands to complete the job my uncle started. Since that, my Aunt has become such a rock in my life. She inspired me to be Greek and to enjoy the complete sorority experience. I tried to find a couple pictures to show you, but I can't bear to see some photos from the end, so I jut found a more recent photo of my aunt and I

Have a great week and enjoy the precious time with your family!
-Ashton

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure your uncle is smiling down upon you right now, I know I'd be. You are such a great role model and set a good example for not only your sorority sisters, but for your friends, family, and especially me as well. You've taught me how to appreciate life and all that it has to offer, not letting it pass you by. I wish I had gotten the chance to meet your uncle Dixon, but in a way I guess you could say that I did. I am sure there is still a little part of him in you, which without it, you would not be who you are today. I could not thank God enough for him letting our paths cross because without you I'd be lost. Love you. Forever and Always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the same background! Great minds think alike!!

    ReplyDelete